Perfect examples of Ming Dynasty architecture, these 13 story Pagodas are home to a rare collection of steles from ancient Chinese calligraphers Wang Xizhi (303-361), Yan Zhenqing (709-785), Liu Zongyuan (773-819), and Su Dongpo (1037-1101). Visitors to the temple are welcome to ascend the stairs to the 53 meter (150 feet) pinnacle and take in views of the surroundings. The temple is made entirely of brick and stone and was ordered built by Emperor Wan Li in 1608. The best time to visit the Twin Pagoda Temple (Shuang Ta Si) is..
Jin Temple (Jìn Cí, 晉祠), also called Jinci Temple, is an important temple complex located outside of town at the foot of Xuanweng Mountain (Xuánwèng Shān, 悬瓮山) founded by the Jin family during the Northern Wei Dynasty. One of the most notable buildings is the Mother Goddess Hall (Shèngmǔ Diàn, 圣母殿), also translated as the Holy Mother Hall, which was built in 1023 during the Northern Song Dynasty (and later reconstructed in 1102). The hall has beautiful statues clay of the Mother Goddess..
Taiyuan has long been a coal town (at least as far back as the 10th century). The Coal Museum of China (Zhōngguó Méitàn Bówùguǎn, 中国煤炭博物馆) explores the development of coal mining from its ancient history into modern times. Historical relics, interactive exhibits, paintings and a life-size recreation of a coal mine tell the story of what still remains an important industry in Shanxi Province. Photo by DukeAnt (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons